About Me #
Hi, I'm Mark and I'm a baker. I also write things and I talk a whole bunch too.
Things I'm doing #
My podcast, Rise Up! The Baker Podcast has been going since 2018. I have conversations with professional bakers and bakery owners from around the world.
I founded an online community for professional bakers and bakery owners in 2020, called Bakers4Bakers
I'm mixing scones, rolling cinnamon buns and stuffing croissants most mornings at Union Pacific Coffee in Victoria, BC.
Things I've done #
If you're inclined to dig through my writing archives you'll uncover a few layers of past projects and adventures. Some work highlights from front to back:
My friend Bernadette Jiwa and I launched the Right Company in 2018 and I was the Chief Community Advocate there until the end of 2021.
I've run a few bakeries. Cindy and I opened Orange Boot Bakery in 2011 and ran it for five years. There was a proto-Orange Boot, run out of my garage, starting around 2008. And there was a post-Orange Boot, called (creatively) The Backyard Bakery, back in the garage, after we closed Orange Boot in 2015.
And before all of that, I had a career in Telecom from 1989 - 2010. I tried to get folks turned on to blogging early on, starting a small local community blog and an example business blog. Some of those posts are here too.
But outside of all the projects and businesses and community building and coaching work, I keep coming back to writing about three things: connection, community and collaboration. As in, working together, human to human, to make our lives inwardly rich and our world healthy and vibrant.
About this website #
This is where all my writing goes. From at least five disparate blogs and websites going back to 2006. I have a website problem, you see. I start them, and fill them up, then abandon them for a new project. But in the spring of 2023 I finally pulled them all into one spot. Blogs you've never heard of, like:
- My Voice is in here somewhere, my first wordpress blog from 2006 - 2010 or so, including two awesome family vacation memoirs and my formative baking education at the San Francisco Baking Institute
- Orange Boot Bakery (at home edition), the first iteration of our bakery
- Orange Boot Bakery, five years of mayhem an awesomeness on Gordon Road, Regina.
- The Backyard Bakery, my return to the brick oven and a more connective, personal baking experience
- Ready With Shoes On, a travel blog with field updates from a three month trip to Europe
And more recent posts from my coaching, storytelling and community-building work.
I've got email! Send me a note at firstname.lastname@example.org