The message below went out to our Bootnik email list early this morning. Not a Bootnik? Sign up here!
Hello Bread Lovers!
What a wild and crazy September we've had! I hope you are all enjoying this amazing warm autumn weather. I hope you are able to spend some time outdoors; I can't imagine a better way to spend an hour than a leisurely walk around the neighbourhood.
This time around we have three big things to share with you:
- Notes from the Baker's Bench
- Giving Thanks
- Thanksgiving Week Specials
So let's get started!
Notes from the Baker's Bench
I'll be honest: September has been an exhausting month for Cindy and me. Most all of our staff went back to school by the end of August and it took much longer than expected to find the right people to join the Orange Boot team. And in the middle of September, our baker Patti broke her wrist and will be out of commission for several weeks. All that meant 16 hour shifts for Mark and Cindy and delays in introducing new baked yumminess. No fun there.
But not all was gloom and doom. We now have a consistent rotation of specialty loaves and rolls every day and we're getting amazing feedback about them:
- Tuesday: Roasted Garlic Sourdough (loaves), Semolina with Fennel and Raisins (rolls and loaves)
- Wednesday: Roasted Potato Sourdough, Multigrain Carrot Rolls
- Thursday: Wild Rice Multigrain (loaves), Flax Currant (rolls and loaves), Onion Poppyseed Rolls
- Friday: Walnut Raisin Sourdough, Cheese Buns
- Saturday: Walnut Raisin Sourdough, Soft White Pull Apart Rolls
We also introduced a trio of yummy buns in time for back-to-school and back-to-work. We call them Lunch Box Buns because they are the perfect size for a nice sandwich or two for lunch. They are available in white, 100% whole wheat and a blend we call Country Style. Mmmm...
As October arrived, so did our staff! We're slowly building our team so we can bake more for you:
- Heather and Sorena serving customers
- Olivia and Ethan baking bread and treats
- Trish will be joining the morning bake team by mid-October and hopefully Patti will be back baking before Christmas.
- Ben, Robyn and Jessica will be also helping out on Saturdays, as their hectic schedules permit.
As we begin our ninth month of baking for you, Cindy and I want to make sure you know just how thankful we are to have you as a friend and a Bootnik. You are the reason we're keeping these crazy hours!
- Thank you for the 22,000 times someone has come in to the bakery since we opened in January;
- Thank you to our regulars who visit us 2-3 times every week for fresh bread and baked treats;
- Thank you for telling us such amazing stories about how you shared our bread at baby showers, or church meetings, or family gatherings, or when you took our bread to Calgary or Winnipeg or Costa Rica;
- Thank you for telling your friends and co-workers about Orange Boot Bakery;
- Thank you for calling and emailing when we made something you especially enjoy;
- And thank you for calling and emailing when we make something you don't enjoy. It's your thoughtful, specific, constructive criticism that pushes us to be better bakers.
Thanksgiving Week Specials
Through all the turmoil in September we have been planning out something special for Thanksgiving . I think we have a really great selection of special items lined up for you:
- We are bringing back our Pumpkin Pecan muffins for fall. They will be available all week leading up to Thanksgiving before entering our weekly rotation.
- We will be baking extra Soft White Pull Apart rolls on Friday and Saturday. They are the perfect dinner roll to accompany your Thanksgiving Dinner. ($4.00 for a block of six rolls)
- We will also be making a very special Thanksgiving loaf on Friday and Saturday. It's a Buckwheat Pear loaf: the unique taste of buckwheat flour combined with pears soaked in white wine, all baked up in a pear shaped loaf. Here's a picture: ($7 per loaf)
Please note! The Pull Apart rolls and Buckwheat Pear loaves are available by special order only!
We only have so much oven space (and only so many pears) and don't want to leave anyone high and dry the day before Thanksgiving. So here how it will work:
If you would like a Buckwheat Pear loaf or Pull Apart rolls for Thanksgiving:
- send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and put Thanksgiving Order in the subject line.
- let us know how many pull apart rolls (six packs) and/or Buckwheat Pear loaves you would like
- be sure to include your name and a contact phone number
- tell us whether you will be picking up on Friday or Saturday.
Orders for Friday pickup must be received by 6PM on Wednesday, October 5
Orders for Saturday pickup must be received by 6PM on Thursday, October 6
Again, quantities are limited so please order as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Every day, we are blown away by feedback about our bread and the amazing stories we hear from people coming into the bakery. We truly love being part of your weekly routine. Thank you so much! We can't wait to see you again.
Mark, Cindy, Ben and Robyn Dyck
Orange Boot Bakery 3904 Gordon Road, Regina, SK S4S 6Y3 (306) 584-BOOT (2668) http://orangeboot.ca/