[Update: As of Monday, May 5, we are sold out of Mother's Day baskets. Cindy and I will re-assess things today and if we can make a few more we will re-open the order form and let you know via the Bootnik email list.]
Whether it rains, snows or finally warms up, next Sunday is Mother’s Day. Time to celebrate the Moms, Grandmas and all the other lovely women in your life. And it’s a tradition at Orange Boot to create a unique, tasty, limited edition gift to say “I Love You Mom!” and have something to eat after.
This year we want to help you celebrate Mom with what we’re calling Mom’s Beautiful Breakfast Basket. It’s a selection of goodies inspired by and built by our favourite ladies that are part of Orange Boot Bakery all year long:
First, there’s the fabulous bakers of Orange Boot: Teisha, Kim, Sandy and Cindy. They’ve created a huge selection of breakfast treats to give to Mom next weekend:
- Kim created a White Chocolate and Pear Biscotti, sweet, crisp biscuits that go great with a hot breakfast beverage;
- Kim is also making her wonderful Apple Hazelnut Coffee Cake, a crumbly, fruity, moist sweet treat;
- Teisha and Sandy will make a special mini Semolina “S” loaf, covered in toasted sesame seeds. This loaf is great with honey or jam for breakfast on Sunday;
- Cindy will be baking up a mega batch of her amazing Blueberry Orange muffins, which positively glow with sunny goodness.
Next, it wouldn’t be right if we didn’t include something from our regular customers. Sally and Janis have been asking for brioche for a while now so I spent some time working up Orange Boot Brioche. Soft, silky, and golden brown, brioche is a ultra rich little bread for one, shaped in a fluted cup.
Then we had to get a little crazy because Moms can be a little crazy too. A lovely gentleman brought us a recipe for Morrocan M’Hancha from the Globe and Mail and asked us to make it. Taking that recipe as inspiration, Kim came up with a fruit and nut filling (including figs and dates) and paired it with our flaky croissant dough. We’re calling it the Fruit and Nut Swirl and putting some of those in the basket too.
Finally, we brought some of our lovely local food ladies to the party:
- Michelle Frisholz is the heart and soul of Zee Bee Honey from Zehner, SK and her honey has been featured at the bakery for a while now. We’re really excited to include a jar of wonderful Zee Bee Honey to spread on our Semolina bread at breakfast next Sunday.
- And last but not least, Mom will need something to wash down all this yummy baking. So we partnered up with Jule from Cuppa T for a satchel of her best breakfast tea. Jule is a great friend of ours – Farmers Market neighbour in Summer, official tea supplier to Orange Boot and a fun loving, ever-smiling joy to be around.
So let’s recap, shall we?
Each special Mom’s Beautiful Breakfast Basket will contain:
- One Apple Hazelnut coffee cake
- One mini Semolina S loaf
- Two Orange Boot Brioche
- Four White Chocolate and Pear biscotti
- Two Fruit and Nut Swirls
- Two Orange Blueberry muffins
- a jar of Zee Bee Honey
- a satchel (50g) of Cuppa T tea
- All lovingly packed by hand in a wrapped gift basket, available for pickup on Saturday afternoon, May 10, 2014.
Mom’s Beautiful Breakfast Baskets are $45 each and will be available for pickup from the bakery between noon and 4PM on Saturday, May 10*.
These baskets are limited edition: only 40 baskets are available and they will sell out. To guarantee you get one of these delicious gift baskets, order online here or call the bakery at (306) 584-2668. First ordered, first served and when they are gone, they’re gone. So don’t delay, order today!
- Even though we open at 9:30AM on Saturday, your basket won’t be ready until noon, so the bread has time to cool before we build the baskets. If you are one of our early morning Weekend Warriors, let us know what other weekend baking you’d like and we’ll set it aside for you when you come in the afternoon. No need to come twice on Saturday. No need to miss out on your croissants or feta flatbreads either!
** Orders will be processed in the order they are received. I will remove the website order form once all 40 baskets are sold out.